A yellow gold pebble mounted as a ring, with simple wirework setting holding the stone.
The pebble shaped form became a theme of Slutzky's work at the begining of the 1960's, there are similar pebbles mounted as a necklace in silver interspaced with red enamel pebble shapes in the Bauhaus Arkive Collection Berlin. A gold mounted green stone ring,possibly glass is known to have been made in the same style, though its whereabouts is unknown, This along with three pebble rings are the only ones known to exist.
Illustrated : No.99a in Monika Rudolph's biography, 'Naum Slutzky, Master Goldsmith of the Bauhaus' 1990. Provenance:The workshop of Naum Slutzky 1965 and then by descent to the previous owner.
Invited by Walter Gropius, Slutzky became the master goldsmith at the Bauhaus in Berlin between 1919-1923. He became a freelance designer in Hamburg from 1927 to 1933. In 1933 he fled to England and became a jewellery teacher at the progressive Dartington Hall in Devon. After the war the worked at The Central School of Art in London and between 1950-1957 at the Royal Collage of Art, London. He moved to Birmingham as head of industrial design at Birmingham University until 1964. His final year was spent at Ravensbourne Collage, Bromley as head of three dimensional design.
Slutzky's work is extremely rare, it is always handmade, experimental and was not put into general production. There are examples in the Victoria and Albert Museum and the Bauhaus Archive in Berlin. Slutzky sold five pieces to the Bauhaus archive just before he died in 1965.