GEORGE OAKLEY OF LONDON
The dwarf bookcases with three graduated bookshelves above, are decorated with gilt brass galleries with a rope twist style moulding to the shelves with gilt brass column supports that have been decorated with finely chased rope motifs. These depict the celebration of Lord Nelson's success at Trafalgar in 1805. The bookcases have two adjustable shelves below, rosewood panelled sides and upright rosewood panels to the front with crisply cast mounts and mouldings and stand on gilt ormolu mounted block toupe feet.
George Oakley (d. 1841)
George Oakley was among the foremost cabinet-makers of his day, with premises in Bond Street, London, and the city. He had a wide and distinguished circle of patrons, including the Prince Regent, for whom he worked on Carlton House. He supplied furniture for the Mansion House and the Bank of England, as well as private clients such as the banker Thomas Baring, Edward, Lord Lascelles, for whom he worked at Harewood House, Hanover Square, London, and many, many more including Sir Henry and Sir John Sutton Nelthorpe, the 7th and 8th Barons of Scawby Hall.
Oakley was granted a Royal warrant in 1799 after receiving a visit from Queen Charlotte and other members of the Royal family, upon which ‘ …… her Majesty, The Duke and Duchess of York, and the Princesses & c., highly approved of the splendid variety which has justly attracted the notice of the fashionable world’ (Morning Chronicle, May 1799).
He enjoyed a long and successful career, stretching from 1789-1819, specialising in French and Grecian style furniture.