This magnificent crested and armorial George II silver Warwick cruet was made in London in 1744 by George Hindmarsh and has a lovely coat of arms in a shaped cartouche to the fronts of the 3 pear shaped castors and is crested to the 2 silver tops with the motto TOUS JOURS LOYAL in a banner above. The large castor measures 8.5 inches tall by 3.5 inches wide and the 2 smaller ones are 6.75 inches tall by 2.75 inches wide whilst the cut glass bottles are 7 5/8 inches tall by 2/25 inches wide, they are beautifully flat chased and engraved with garlands of flowers and foliage C and S scrolls with the lids being well pierced and engraved in spirals and having pineapple finials, the pull off lids to the oil and vinegar bottles are beautifully engraved and unmarked as was the norm. The cast stand has 4 shell feet with scrolled arms and acanthus leaf shoulders and a large shaped cartouche to the front also bearing the coat of arms and there are 2 rings on the frame for the tops to be placed when in use. The central stem is plain in design with a baluster top below the carrying handle, the ring being marked with the lion passant and makers mark, the castors are all fully and clearly hallmarked under the bases and also the the pull off lids with the lion passant and makers mark and the frame is also fully and clearly hallmarked underneath, a fine large and impressive cruet in super condition weighing 64.5 ounces or 1993 grams of silver.
The Arms of the Family of Fenwick
The Arms as engraved upon this George II English Sterling Silver Warwick Cruet by George Hindmarsh hallmarked London 1744 are those of the family of Fenwick. They may be blazoned as follows:
Arms: Per fess gules and argent six martlets counterchanged
Crest: A phoenix in flames proper [gorged with a mural crown*]
Motto: Tous Jours Loyal [Always loyal]
* The engraver appears to have omitted the mural crown about the phoenix’s neck.
Although armigerous branches of the Fenwick family were fairly widespread being found in the Counties of Leicestershire and Norfolk and in Ulster, their main sphere of influence was in the Counties of Northumberland and Durham in England’s North East. The particular branch of the family can be narrowed down from the use of the motto shown above – ‘Tous Jours Loyal’ or more correctly ‘Toujours loyal’. The branch in whose possession this particular piece were the Fenwicks, of Longframlington and Long Witton in the County of Northumberland. Given the date of manufacture of the cruet, we may guess that it was made for James Fenwick (died 21st April 1759) of Morpeth in the County of Northumberland. James married around the year 1720, Catherine Wilkinson, the second daughter and co-heir of John Wilkinson, of Morpeth and Barbara Wilson, daughter and co-heir of William Wilson, of Longframlington. It was through Barbara, the Fenwicks acquired the estate of Longframlington.