This silver ring is part of a small series of rings with three moving centre parts of various square section threaded on to either a pair of wires or a flat band, the ring has a rivet to each side of the bars to keep them in place.
A very similar ring is in the Victoria And Albert Museum London, along with sketches for variations.
Marked with Slutzsky's makers mark on reverse, the only piece of this type known to be marked at all.
Provenance:The workshop of Naum Slutzky 1965 and then by descent to the previous owner.
Invited by Walter Gropius, Slutzky became the master goldsmith at the Bauhaus in Berlin between 1919-1923. He became a freelance designer in Hamburg from 1927 to 1933. In 1933 he fled to England and became a jewellery teacher at the progressive Dartington Hall in Devon. After the war the worked at The Central School of Art in London and between 1950-1957 at the Royal Collage of Art, London. He moved to Birmingham as head of industrial design at Birmingham University until 1964. His final year was spent at Ravensbourne Collage, Bromley as head of three dimensional design.
His work is extremely rare, it is always handmade, experimental and not put into production. There are examples in the Victoria and Albert Museum and the Bauhaus Archive in Berlin. Slutzky sold five pieces to the Bauhaus archive just before he died in 1965.